Red JIB Card - Work Experience

What is a Red (Work Experience) JIB Card?

The Red (Work Experience) JIB card was developed to allow students who are studying for a plumbing and heating qualification of some other kind to access carded areas of a worksite, though they must be supervised whilst doing so.

What qualifications will I need?

You must be a full time student, enrolled in a BSE (Building Services Engineering) qualification, such as:

  • Any BSE specific traineeship or study programme

  • Diploma in the Built Environment or Engineering, BSE option only

  • Level 1 or 2 Access to Building Services Engineering

  • Level 2 or 3 diploma in plumbing/Heating and Ventilating studies

  • Level 2 Plumbing/Heating and Ventilating technical certificate

  • NC/HNC/HND in the built environment, BSE option only

  • Plumbing/H&V technical certificate at L2

You must have completed the JIB-PMES or CITB HS&E test, or have completed your HS&E training in one of the above programmes.

You must:

  • Demonstrate a good attitude and is punctual whilst studying at college. Have achieved a high standard of success in theoretical and practical tasks and assignments undertaken at college.
  • Demonstrate good practical skills and have a basic understanding of the materials, equipment and hand tools used in the BSE/plumbing & heating sector.
  • Have a good understanding of the career routes and progression opportunities within the BSE sector and a real desire to work in the BSE sector and progress on to a recognised apprenticeship framework.
  • Be able to commit to undertaking a work experience placement over a set period of time (i.e., 2-days per week over a 2-month period).
  • Be willing to travel to the company’s place of work and fit into the normal working practices of the organisation.
  • Conduct yourself professionally at all times and will be an excellent ambassador for the college to inspire and mentor your peers in the future.

How long is the certification valid?

The Red (Work Experience) JIB card is valid for one year, and cannot be renewed. However, if the cardholder engages in an apprenticeship during that year, they must return their Red (Work Experience) Card and apply for a Red (Apprentice) Card immediately.

What is the next step?

Typically, Work Experience Card holders will seek a Red (Apprentice) card as their next career step.

Last updated: Monday 12 February 2018 09:22:21

Get your JIB card today